UNV for the Open Working Group (OWG)
The United Nations support Member States by providing evidence-based inputs, analytical thinking and field experience. UNV is part of the UN inter-agency technical support team (TST) established to support the process stream led by Member States through the Open Working Group of the General Assembly (OWG). The TST consists of over 40 UN entities and provides technical support, including analytical inputs, background material and expert panelists. UN DESA and UNDP co-chair the TST.
The 30-member OWG is mandated by the Rio+20 Outcome document to prepare a proposal on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for consideration by the General Assembly at its 68th session (Sep 2014).
Positioning volunteerism in post-2015 documents
As a member of the UNDG, UNV contributed to UNDG issues briefs, such as:
- UNDG People's Voices Issue Brief for the 8th meeting of the Open Working Group (3-7 February 2014)
As a member of the TST, UNV contributed to several TST issues briefs and to thematic consultations:
- Issues Brief: Conceptual Issues
- Issues Brief: Promoting equality, including social equity
- Issues Brief: Poverty Eradication
- Issues Brief: Food Security and Nutrition
- Issues Brief: Education and Culture
- Issues Brief: Means of Implementation; Global Partnership for achieving sustainable development
- e-consultation on Inequalities (January 2013): Synthesis Report
- e-consultation on Disadvantaged children and young people living in urban areas (August 2013)