Post-2015 Volunteering Working Group joint initiatives
Signatories to the Lima Declaration commit to working with their national governments to champion volunteering for development in the post-2015 negotiations. Until September 2015, they will focus on advocacy aimed at national governments.
To help signatories to the Lima Declaration, volunteers and colleagues in civil society convey messages in the Lima Declaration clearly and consistently to governments, this toolkit provides background information on the post-2015 process and suggests ways in which they can influence its outcomes.
500 ways: recognising the role of volunteers in achieving the Millennium Development Goals
Volunteers and volunteer groups have made a very real, but too often invisible, contribution to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). 500ways.org is a joint initiative of the Australian Red Cross, AVI, CUSO, IAVE, UN Volunteers, VSA, VSO and World Teach which features a volunteer story every day throughout the last 500 days until the end date for the MDGs.
The experience gained in implementing the MDGs has shown that to be sustainable, development cooperation must look beyond technical and financial assistance to people-centered approaches and solutions devised from the ground up. Volunteer groups are central to this approach. Volunteering supports sustainable development in a variety of ways and through a wide range of functions.
On the occasion of the second session of the High Level Political Forum in June 2014, the Post-2015 Volunteering Working Group circulated an open letter to UN Member States, which:
- states that volunteering is a complementary means of implementation for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that enhances the accountability of the new framework;
- calls for the recognition of volunteer groups in development cooperation; and
- advocates for the inclusion of participation and citizen-led engagement in the goal, target and indicator structure.
Input to various steps of the post-2015 process
- Proposed indicators on volunteering submitted to the IAEG (Inter-Agency Expert Group) (Sep 2015)
- Volunteer Groups' Position Paper submitted to the HLPF (July 2015)
- Integrating volunteerism in the zero draft rev1 of the SDGs (July 2014)
- Integrating volunteerism in the zero draft of the SDGs (June 2014)
- Forum: Input to the High Level event of the UN General Assembly on "Contribution of Human Rights and the Rule of Law in the Post-2015 Development Agenda" (9-10 June 2014)
- Forum: Input for the High Level event of the UN General Assembly on “Contribution of North-South, South-South, Triangular Cooperation, and ICT for Development to the implementation of the Post-2015 Development Agenda” (21-22 May 2014)